Housing and Checkout Information
- Closing of all student houses | Saturday, December 14, 3:00 pm: Students must be off campus by 3:00 pm. Student houses will be locked and access to houses will not be granted for any reason after 3:00 pm. Campus Safety will continue to conduct rounds and any student who is found on campus after 3:00 pm will be fined $100 for each two-hour period past the deadline, up to $300.
- Later than 3:00 pm departure: Students leaving shortly after 3:00 pm can avoid fines by being completely checked out of their rooms with their keys turned in. If needed, students waiting for rides may do so in Barn 100 or in Commons.
- Inclement weather: If regional reports indicate that there will be inclement weather, the College may extend the closing deadline for an additional 24 hours. Signs will be posted in each house and the community will be notified by bennington.edu email should this exception be made.
- After houses close: College staff will conduct walk-throughs after houses close to assess house and room damages for billing. For more information about billable offenses and fine structure, please refer to pages 30–32 of the 2013–2014 Student Handbook. Any damage to individual student rooms will be billed to the student(s) who lived in that room at the end of the academic year (with the exception of December graduates and students not planning to return to campus in the spring); any damage to house common areas will be divided and billed to all house residents. Rooms of December graduates and students not planning to return in the spring will be expected to include all College furniture that was provided at the start of the term and be set up as they were upon their arrival to campus—failure to do so will result in a full-replacement cost of the missing furniture.
- Students in the Barnes and Woo houses, and in Welling Town House must remove all non-College–issued
items from their rooms, because these houses must be maintained for use
by outside groups over FWT. All trash must be placed in plastic bags
and disposed of in a dumpster.
Here is a quick list of the things you must remember to do—please review the entire End-of-Term Announcements to ensure you don't overlook anything.
- Make your Albany shuttle reservation by Wednesday, December 4, 3:00 pm
- Remove all non-College–issued items from your rooms (Fels, Merck, Noyes, Paris-Borden, Perkins, Sawtell, and Welling Town House residents only)
- Clean/setup your room (Fels, Merck, Noyes, Paris-Borden, Perkins, Sawtell, and Welling Town House residents only)
- Remove all trash and dispose of it in dumpsters
- Defrost and drain your refrigerators
- Return all sports and recreation equipment to the Meyer Rec Barn
- Return all library materials
- Forward mail to FWT address
- Complete the Long-Term Vehicle Parking Permit at Campus Safety if leaving your vehicle on campus during FWT
- Store your bike under Barn 100
- If required, return your room key and get receipt before you leave campus (Fels, Merck, Noyes, Paris-Borden, Perkins, Sawtell, and Welling Town House residents only)
Return Your Keys
Residents of Fels, Merck, Noyes, Paris-Borden, Perkins, Sawtell, and Welling Town House must return keys before leaving campus during the designated times to the following locations:
- Wednesday–Friday, December 11–13: Key Room (by laundry room in Commons), 9:00 am–3:00 pm; Campus Safety all other times
- Saturday, December 14: Key Room (by laundry room in Commons), 8:00 am–3:00 pm; Campus Safety all other times
Note: If you are required to turn in your key upon leaving campus, you are encouraged to get a receipt noting the date and time that you turned in your key. If you leave campus without turning in your key, the cylinder on your door will be changed, and you will be charged $50. You will also be charged the maximum late checkout fine of $300 because your checkout time cannot be verified. If you have lost your key, you are encouraged to check out with Campus Safety to avoid the additional late checkout fine.
- For Fels, Merck, Noyes, Paris-Borden, Perkins, Sawtell, or Welling Town House: Due to housing demands for the MFA in Writing program, as well as FWT housing, students in these houses will need to store their belongings and return their keys as explained above. The College assumes no responsibility or liability for property left behind—items left in rooms meant to be vacant are considered abandoned property and, as such, will either be donated to local charities or discarded. All students living in Barnes and Woo houses will have access to free-of-charge storage during FWT. Storage is available in Fels, Noyes, Sawtell, and Welling Town House for residents of those houses (available times to be determined in Coffee Hour) and in the basement of Bingham house for students living in the Woo houses.
- For Bingham, Booth, Canfield, Dewey, Franklin, Kilpatrick, Leigh, Longmeadow, McCullough, Shingle, Stokes, Swan, Welling, and Woolley: Students who live in these houses can leave their belongings in their houses, and do not have to turn in their key before leaving campus. A checklist will be provided to each resident to use prior to leaving to ensure that rooms are left in good/safe conditions for the winter. Students should affix completed checklists to their student room door upon departure. Additionally, students in Colonial houses whose roommates are not returning for the spring term, should also plan to store in Bingham. All students will receive an email with information pertaining to their specific situation with regards to storing and/or vacating their space.
- Storage in the Bingham basement will be accessible during the times listed below. Storage will be locked and cannot be accessed for any reason after 3:00 pm on Saturday, December 14, so please plan accordingly. Bennington College assumes no responsibility or liability for the theft, loss, or damage of any personal property stored in house storage areas. All items placed in storage are left at the owner’s risk.
Moving Truck Availability
- Thursday, December 12: 4:00–11:00 pm
- Friday, December 13: 3:30 pm–midnight
- Saturday, December 14: 8:00 am–3:00 pm
Storage Information for Bingham
- Thursday, December 12: 4:00–11:00 pm
- Friday, December 13: 10:00 am–midnight
- Saturday, December 14: 7:30 am–3:00 pm
Questions about Storage
- Should I empty my locker or studio? Yes. Any items in lockers and/or studios must be removed by the end of the term, unless an arrangement has been made with the appropriate technician or staff member. Any items left will be donated to local charities or discarded.
- Can I leave my bicycle? Bicycle storage will be available under Barn 100 by contacting Campus Safety ahead of time. Any bicycles left behind will be donated to local charities or discarded.
- What should I do with my refrigerator? To prevent water damage to student belongings, all refrigerators must be defrosted and drained before being placed in the storage facility.
- What happens if I leave something behind? The College assumes no responsibility or liability for property left behind. Items left in rooms meant to be vacant are considered abandoned property and, as such, will either be donated to local charities or discarded.
- Can I leave my car on campus over FWT? Yes. Students returning for the Spring 2014 term who would like to leave their car on campus over FWT must complete a Long-Term Vehicle Parking Permit available through Campus Safety. This permit must be returned to Campus Safety by Friday, December 6. If the permit is approved, the vehicle will be assigned a designated spot in the Ohio parking lot and the vehicle keys, owner’s full name and contact information, make/year/model/color of the vehicle, license-plate information, and a copy of the vehicle’s registration must be turned in to Campus Safety before student leaves campus. Only vehicles with a current registration and valid College parking permit may be parked long term. Please contact Campus Safety (x4250 or 802-447-4250 from an off-campus phone) with any questions about this procedure.
Off-Campus Storage Options
- Green Mountain Self Storage: 802-447-2319
- Shaftsbury Self Storage: 802-442-5612