2014 Commencement Coverage | Past Commencement Speakers | Campus Map (PDF)
June 5–6, 2015
We wanted to take this moment to look ahead to Bennington College’s 2015 Commencement Weekend. If it is not already on your calendar, please be sure to save the date for Friday and Saturday, June 5 and 6, 2015.
Activist and icon Gloria Steinem will be this year’s commencement speaker. A seminal figure in the feminist movement, Gloria works across the country and around the globe as an advocate for equality. Her range is impressive: organizer, author, filmmaker, public intellectual; her impact, extraordinary. She co-founded Ms. magazine, which was the first U.S. magazine to put such issues as domestic violence and sexual harassment, among countless others, on the cover of a women’s magazine. Through Ms. and her work beyond, Gloria gives voice to a feminist worldview and places it squarely within the contemporary public discourse. Parke Haskell ’15 will be the senior class speaker. A student of poetry and more, Parke has immersed herself in the Bennington experience—as a House Chair, an admissions intern, a member of the Judicial Committee. We look forward to hearing their perspectives on what it means and what it takes to engage meaningfully in the world, and on the special qualities Bennington graduates bring to their communities.
Following are several details to help you plan:
- Accommodations. We encourage you to make hotel reservations as soon as possible, as accommodations tend to book quickly during this busy time of year. Information about local accommodations.
- Commencement Dinner | Friday, June 5, 6:00 pm. Addresses by the commencement speaker and senior class speaker will take place over dinner. To accommodate all graduates, their families, and faculty in a single seating, tickets are limited to four guests per graduate. Tickets will be available for purchase ($40 per person) on our website in the spring; please encourage your graduate to watch for details.
- Conferring of Degrees | Saturday, June 6, 10:00 am. The awarding of degrees is open seating; no ticket is required.
- Invitations. Four complimentary invitations will be distributed to graduates in the spring, when tickets are available for purchase.
- Diploma Frames. The Bennington College bookstore is accepting orders for diploma frames. For more information, please call the bookstore at 802-440-4361.
- Commencement Fee. The $75 fee helps offset the cost of your graduate’s dinner, diploma and cover, and any necessary cap and gown rental. It will appear on your bill for the spring term (December graduates have already been billed).
We are looking forward to celebrating with you in June. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-440-4743. Updated: December 19, 2014