While studying at Bennington, you are required to maintain your F-1 non-immigrant status. As an undergraduate, this equates to a minimum of 12 credit hours per term. It is important that you adhere to the guidelines below as well as those listed on the USCIS website.
The information below is intended to offer general information on F-1 regulations and should not be taken as legal advice. Please note that your International Student Advisor (ISA) is available to assist you, however maintaining your F-1 status is ultimately your responsibility.
F-1 Compliance Guidelines
- Within the first week of classes you must meet with your ISA to register in SEVIS. You will receive an updated and signed I-20.
- Inform your ISA of any name, address, or funding updates within 10 days of the change.
- Meet with your ISA for prior approval to drop below 12 credit hours, which is only feasible under certain extenuating circumstances.
- Inform your ISA of address changes, including changes over FWT.
- Keep your passport valid for at least 6 months beyond your program completion date.
- Do NOT work without prior written permission from your ISA. Students who work on campus must not exceed the maximum 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- To transfer out of Bennington College, you must notify your ISA of your intentions to transfer before your F-1 status ends.
- Upon completion of your degree, you have 60 days to depart the U.S., transfer to another program, change education levels, or apply for post-completion OPT.