Renewing Your Visa

Students may stay in the U.S. on an expired F-1 visa as long as they maintain their immigration status by being in possession of a valid I-20 and an I-94 Arrival/Departure record. If students are traveling and will not use automatic revalidation to re-enter the U.S., they must have a valid visa.

Visas cannot be renewed inside the U.S. Once students have made a visa interview appointment at a U.S. embassy/consulate abroad, they should review the embassy/consulate’s website for details on the visa renewal process including required documents. Students are also able to check on the visa wait times for a specific U.S. embassy/consulate through the U.S. Department of State website.

The Department of State recommends that students apply for a visa in their home country. Students who must apply for a visa in a third country must remember the following:

  • Students cannot return to the U.S. until their visa has been issued.
  • If the visa application is denied, students will not be able to return to the U.S. and will be required to return to their home country.
  • If the visa application is denied in Canada or Mexico, automatic revalidation does not apply.