Admissions and Aid
The postbac application opens annually in early September. Beginning in the fall of each year, candidates are admitted on a rolling basis. The closing deadline to apply is April 1.
Bennington reviews applications holistically. In addition to strong academic performance, we value experience in the field, a clear statement of your reasons to pursue an MD, DO, or DDS, strong personal qualities, and a desire to learn in a collaborative and interactive academic setting. We are interested in your volunteer and leadership activities and career experience. We recommend that applicants have math experience at the college algebra level or above.
In addition to the biographical information requested on the application, you will also be asked to submit the following:
- Your résumé (please include any relevant volunteering or shadowing activities).
- An essay describing why you want to work in the health profession. Why are you choosing a medical/veterinary/dental career over other service or advocacy professions?
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a professor with whom you have studied. Recommenders will receive an email with instructions for submitting their letters.
- Official, sealed transcripts from all colleges you have attended—undergraduate, graduate, or professions schools. Transcripts from study-abroad programs are not necessary if those courses and grades are included in your home school transcript.
- Official transcripts from all high schools you have attended if you earned a college degree within the last five years.
- Scores from the SAT, ACT, or GRE are preferred and may be unofficial or included in the high school transcript.
- The $60 (U.S.$) nonrefundable application fee made payable to Bennington College or a fee waiver.*
We will ask you to describe your interest in Bennington’s program, and to list any relevant college-level math and science courses you have taken. If you wish, you may submit a second essay with any additional information you would like us to have. A third letter of recommendation may also be submitted.
*The application fee may be paid online at your Applicant Status Page via credit card, PayPal, or check. Bennington offers a limited number of fee waivers. To request a fee waiver, write a brief description of the reason for your request and send it to Postbac program.
All application materials may be uploaded within the application. If you are unable to apply electronically you may request an application (pdf).
All mailed materials should be sent to:
Office of Admissions—Postbac Program
One College Drive
Bennington, VT 05201
When mailing materials we recommend that you save copies of everything you send to us.
Applications are processed as they are received. You will receive an email notification when your application is complete. You will receive a second response from us on next steps within two to three weeks of completing your application. Competitive applicants will be invited to interview. Interviews may be offered on campus or via video or phone. An on-campus interview offers the opportunity to attend a class, have lunch with current postbac students and take a campus tour. There is no disadvantage to applicants for whom a campus visit is not possible.
Bennington College codes: