Housing Over Field Work Term

Securing housing for Field Work Term(FWT) is part of the learning process.

If you opt to complete FWT someplace other than home, start by checking out these resources:

  • The FWT Housing Resource Guide: This guide has suggestions for national/international search engines like Airbnb, VRBO and Craigslist; regional resources for major metropolitan areas like, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington, DC; as well as tips for networking with landlords.
  • FWT Housing Board: Based on student suggestions, this Facebook group is a place to connect with other students to collaborate on finding places to stay during FWT.
  • Job listings with housing: Using Handshake, search by job type “Co-Op” to find FWT listings, and by keyword “housing” to look for jobs that offer housing.
  • City-specific books and maps: Stop by the FWT & Career Development Office’s (Barn 112) to browse through our resource library.

Consider your housing options carefully when planning for FWT. Research rental costs and agreements, particularly in major metropolitan areas. The FWT Office strongly encourages you to have a parent or legal advisor review any lease or sublet agreement before signing it and to meet with the landlord if at all possible prior to entering a housing arrangement. For additional tips on renting, check out the FWT Housing Resource Guide.

On-Campus Housing

Field Work Term is intended as a time for you to leave Bennington and venture into the world beyond campus. That said, in some rare cases it may make sense for you to remain on campus over FWT. Limited, low-cost, campus housing is available for select students during FWT.

You must apply to be considered for housing. Priority is given to first-year international students with work-visa restrictions, juniors and seniors completing an Independent Study on campus, and students approved to work in a Bennington College office during FWT. All students applying for housing on campus during FWT will be subject to an internal reference check as part of their application for housing.

Living on campus during FWT is a very different experience than during term. The community is smaller and students live much more independently. Before opting for campus housing, students should be aware that during FWT many campus services available during fall and spring term are not open, including the dining halls and health services. Access to other campus buildings, such as VAPA and the Meyer Recreation Barn, is limited, and administrative offices maintain an abbreviated schedule.

If you hope to use the resources in VAPA, you must apply to rent studio space. For more information on this process, hours available for use, and the costs, contact Angel Brownell (x4586; off campus 802-440-4586).

For questions about on-campus housing over FWT, email Student Life.