Overview for Site Supervisors
Field Work Term (FWT) is one of the most exciting aspects of a Bennington College education and has been integral to every student’s experience since the College began over 80 years ago. The purpose of FWT is to turn theory into practice as students explore connections between academic pursuits, personal interests, and the world of work.
Students spend seven weeks off campus each year working in internships that expand their studies and enrich their individual and professional development. Every year, students offer a wide range of capacities to hundreds of organizations across the country and around the world. Bennington students are creative, innovative, and valuable contributors to an organization—more than 97% of participating employers report being satisfied or extremely satisfied with their Bennington intern.
Here’s How FWT Works
Students are required to
- Register all FWT internships with our office by the due date. For FWT 2018 this is November 10, 2017, and for FWT Summer Makeup 2017 this is May 5, 2017. FWT positions should connect to a student’s educational Plan at Bennington, and to personal and professional goals.
- Complete at least 210 total hours of work during the scheduled FWT dates. Summer FWT Makeup 2017 runs from June 12–July 28, 2017, and FWT 2018 runs January 2–February 16. Students may split their time between multiple positions as agreed upon by site supervisors.
- Submit a reflective project following the completion of FWT.
Organizations hosting an FWT student agree to
- Conduct an interview and notify the student of selection prior to the registration deadline.
- Arrange and clarify internship details and expectations with the student.
- Provide salary, stipend, and/or housing arrangements, if possible. (Unpaid internships need to comply with the Department of Labor's Fair Standards Act.)
- Offer supervision and mentorship to the intern.
- Print and sign a weekly timesheet provided by our office, and complete an online student performance evaluation at the end of FWT.
We greatly value our partnerships with more than 500 employers every year. If you wish to offer an FWT position or have already been contacted by a student and would like additional information, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 802-440-4321.