Housing, Storage & Checkout
Housing and Checkout
- First and Second Street (Colonial) houses, Longmeadow, Shingle, Welling Townhouse, and Paran Creek Apartments: close at 4:00 pm on Saturday, December 16.
- Third Street (Barnes and Woo) houses and Bingham: close at 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 17.
- Students must be off campus by the dates/times indicated above, depending on their residence. Campus Safety will continue to conduct rounds, and any student who is found anywhere on campus after closing (except for Barn 100) will receive a conduct violation, a fine of $200 and/or loss of housing standing in the spring.
- Students leaving shortly after 4:00 pm can avoid disciplinary action by waiting in Barn 100 after checking out.
- If regional reports indicate inclement weather, the College may extend the closing deadline for an additional 24 hours. Students will be notified via email.
- College staff will conduct walk-throughs in all houses and rooms. Staff will generate Room Condition Reports (RCRs) during the walk-throughs of Third Street, Bingham and rooms of students not returning in the spring and compare them to the RCRs House Chairs submitted at the start of Fall term. All original College furniture must be in the rooms. Failure to do so will result in a charge of the replacement cost of missing furniture. All non-college issued items left in rooms will be donated at the College’s discretion. Any costs associated with the repair and cleaning of rooms will be added to the student's bill.
- During staff walk throughs of the Colonial houses, staff will ensure that radiators are set to three, that there are no fire hazards, and that the windows are properly secured. If during this time, staff observe any Community Standards violations, students who live in that space will receive appropriate sanctions as listed in the Student Handbook.
Here is a quick list of the things you must remember to do—please review the entire End-of-Term Announcements to ensure you don't overlook anything.
- Make your Albany shuttle reservation by 5:00 pm, on Wednesday, December 6.
- Fels, Sawtell, Noyes, Merck, Paris-Borden, Perkins and Bingham: Remove all items not issued by the College from your rooms and leave in clean condition.
- All trash must be placed in plastic bags and disposed of in the provided dumpsters at the end of each street.
- Defrost and drain refrigerators (all houses). To defrost your fridge: dispose of any perishable food items remaining in your fridge, unplug your fridge, prop the door open and lay a towel inside the bottom to soak up excess moisture, and leave your fridge to defrost overnight.
- Return all sports and recreation equipment to the Meyer Rec Barn.
- Return all library materials.
- Forward mail to FWT address.
- Complete the Long-Term Vehicle Parking Permit at Campus Safety if leaving vehicle on campus.
- Contact Campus Safety about storing bicycles in Welling basement.
- Barnes, Woo and Bingham houses: Keys must be returned before departure. You will receive an electronic receipt via email by Friday, December 22. If you do not return your key before 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 17, you will be charged $100 to replace the lock. Mailed keys will not be accepted.
Key Return for Residents of Barnes, Woo, and Bingham Houses
Before leaving campus, lock the door and return the key. As your house will be used over FWT, you will need to return your key before departure. You will receive an electronic receipt via email by Friday, December 22. If you do not return your key before 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 17, you will be charged $100 to replace the lock.
Friday, December 15–Sunday, December 17: Key drop box located in Student Life or Campus Safety.
Please note: mailed keys will not be accepted.
- Students who live in Swan, Woolley, Stokes, Franklin, Canfield, Dewey, Booth, Kilpatrick, McCullough, Leigh, Shingle, Longmeadow, Welling Townhouse and Paran Creek Apartments may leave their belongings in the houses, and must keep their room keys throughout the break.
- All students will received an email from email@example.com regarding storage and checkout.
- Storage will be locked and inaccessible after 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 17.
- The College is not responsible or liable for property left behind. Items left in rooms meant to be vacant are considered abandoned property and will be donated or discarded.
- Due to housing demands for the MFA in Writing program and FWT housing, students in the Barnes, Woo, Bingham houses will need to store their belongings. Specific information is listed below.
House-Specific Storage Information
- Perkins, Merck, Paris-Borden: Provided storage in the Bingham basement.
- Noyes, Sawtell, Fels, Bingham: House basements are used for storage.
Please note: all belongings must be stored in plastic bins and each student may store up to two 30-gallon bins. If you do not own 30-gallon plastic bins you may borrow two from the Office of Student Life for free on a first come, first serve basis.
If you would like to use a cart to transport your belongings to the storage space you may borrow one from your house or the Bingham basement during storage hours.
Please note: The storage areas cannot be accessed outside of the above hours, so make sure you do not store items/documents that you will need over the break.
Questions about Storage
- Wednesday, December 13–Thursday, December 14: 4:00–10:00 pm
- Friday, December 15–Saturday, December 16: 10:00AM–10:00 pm
- Sunday, December 17: 9:00 am–4:00 pm
Should I empty my locker or studio?
Yes. Any items in lockers and/or studios must be removed by the end of the term, unless an arrangement has been made with the appropriate technician or staff member. Any items left will be donated or discarded.
May I leave my bicycle?
Contact Campus Safety about storing your bicycle in Welling basement. Any bicycles left behind will be donated to or discarded.
What should I do with my refrigerator?
To prevent water damage all refrigerators must be defrosted and drained before departure. To defrost your fridge: dispose of any perishable food items remaining in your fridge, unplug your fridge, prop the door open and lay a towel inside the bottom to soak up excess moisture, and leave your fridge to defrost overnight.
May I leave my car on campus over FWT?
Yes. Students may leave their cars on campus if they are returning for the spring term. Please complete a Long-Term Vehicle Parking Permit available through Campus Safety and due Friday, December 8. If the permit is approved, the vehicle will be assigned a designated spot in the Ohio parking lot. Please contact Campus Safety with any questions about this procedure.
Off-Campus Storage Options
Please note: Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from off-campus storage locations.
- Bennington Mill Storage: 160 Benmont Avenue #1, Bennington. 802-779-5237 (from $75/month)
- Bennington Self Storage: 25 Morse Road, Bennington. 802-447-3238 ($50–$190/month)
- ABS Storage: 1267 Harwood Hill Road, Bennington. 802-447-2319
- Shaftsbury Self Storage: 1076 VT Route 7A, Shaftsbury. 802-442-5612 (from $30/month)