Automatic Revalidation provides that, under certain circumstances, a person with an expired F visa in their passport can re-enter the US from Canada, Mexico, and “adjacent islands” (except Cuba) with an expired non-immigrant visa. The absence outside the US cannot exceed 30 days and the I-94 Arrival/Departure record must remain valid.
Please check the visa requirements for the country to which you are traveling before making travel arrangements. You may require a visa to enter certain countries based on the passport you hold.
To re-enter the US under the benefit of automatic revalidation of visa, students/scholars must meet the following requirements:
- Have traveled only to Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands
- The absence cannot exceed 30 days
- Students cannot apply for a new US non-immigrant visa during this time
- Have maintained and intend to maintain non-immigrant status in the US
- Carry valid passport with expired visa and I-20 with valid travel signature
Citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, North Korea, and Cuba are not eligible for the automatic revalidation benefit and would be required to have a valid visa for re-entry.
For more information, please review the US Customs and Border Protection Fact Sheet on Automatic Revalidation.