The mission of the Health Center is to support the health and wellbeing of the students of Bennington College. Both Health and Psychological Services strive to help students consider the complex issues affecting their physical and psychological health. Health Services provides medical evaluation, routine and acute health care, and health education. Psychological Services provides short- and long-term psychotherapy, psychiatric evaluations, and mental health education. Both services seek to promote active participation of students in matters affecting their own psychological and physical health. Health Center staff are on-call for telephone consultation 24 hours a day.
Located on the first floor of Commons, Health Services is open Monday through Friday during the spring and fall academic terms.
- Direct care includes, but is not limited to, care for acute and chronic illnesses and injuries, routine physical exams, laboratory testing, minor procedures, contraception, allergy injections, and appropriate referrals.
- Health education includes, but is not limited to, health maintenance, preparation for traveling abroad, promotion of safer sexual practices, nutrition, weight management, smoking cessation, sexuality, and substance abuse.
- Appointments are encouraged during the spring and fall academic terms, but walk-in visits are taken on a first-come, first-served basis and as dictated by the urgency of the presenting problem. Appointments can be made in person or by calling x4426 (from off campus 802-440-4426).
Located on the second floor of Commons (North Suite), Psychological Services is open Monday through Friday during the spring and fall academic terms. Licensed staff endeavor to provide students with an array of psychological services. We see psychotherapy both as a treatment to help students manage stressors and issues in their lives and as a means for providing students the chance to explore their thought processes and underlying issues much in the way they strive to understand their academics.
- Treatment of stress and anxiety through cognitive methods, and skills training to ongoing exploration.
- Couples' counseling.
- Referral information.
- Medication management if appropriate.
- Appointments during the spring and fall academic terms with a psychotherapist or psychiatrist can be made by calling x4451 (from off campus 802-440-4451), Monday through Friday.
EMERGENCY SERVICES—x767 (SOS, on campus)
Health and Psychological Services staff are available for emergencies 24 hours a day by dialing x767.
The Health Center staff adhere to professional, ethical, and mandated standards of confidentiality. Health and Psychological Services clinicians may consult with other professional staff members for the purpose of providing the best possible care to students. Other exceptions to the standard procedures of confidentiality occur when a student is assessed to be a danger to him/herself or others, when records are subpoenaed, or in reporting abuse (e.g., abuse or neglect of a minor) as required by law. In such cases, the student would be informed, if possible, and information would be shared strictly on a need-to-know basis.
AA and Al-Anon
During the fall and spring terms there are weekly AA meetings on campus, and both AA and Al-Anon have weekly meetings in the local community. Students who wish to participate in AA, Al-Anon, ACOA, or NA networks in the area will find a full listing of off-campus meetings in the Health Center offices.
Student Health Insurance Plan
All full-time Bennington College students must be covered by a health insurance policy. Students may choose to be covered under the College’s health insurance plan or by a family/personal policy. Student health insurance policy information and opt-out for the 2016–17 year will be available by early summer at Consolidated Health Plans (CHP). Every student will need to confirm or opt out of the College-sponsored policy. If an opt out is not received by August 15, the student will be enrolled in the CHP plan and charged annual fee will be billed to the student.
Health Center Charges
Charges not covered by a student's health insurance: Payment can be made by using your Bennington Card, cash, check, or credit card, preferably at the time of service. Students can choose to be billed and pay within 30 days.