2019-2020 Presidential Transition
On April 22, 2019, the Henry Luce Foundation announced Dr. Mariko Silver's appointment as the foundation's next President and CEO.
On July 1, 2019, Isabel Roche, currently Provost and Dean, will become the Interim President of Bennington College.
This page provides an overview of transition events, as well as updates on the national search for the next president of Bennington College.
Updated: June 10, 2019
The next update to the community on our progress will be at the beginning of the fall term.
Presidential Search Committee
On June 6, 2019, Alan Kornberg '74, Chair of the Board of Trustees, announced the appointment of the Presidential Search Committee, comprised of Bennington College trustees, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of the College.
Alan Kornberg '74 will serve as the Chair of the Search Committee, the members of which are as follows:
- Priscilla Alexander ’58, Trustee
- Tracy Katsky Boomer ’91, Trustee
- Deborah Borda ’71
- Suzanne Brundage ’08, Trustee
- Barbara Ushkow Deane ’51, Trustee
- Nare Filiposyan ’17
- Michael Hecht, Trustee
- Kent Hikida ’85, NYC Alumni Cooperative Co-chair
- Alan Kornberg ’74, Trustee; Chair of the Presidential Search Committee
- Angel Kwasniak, Staff
- Brian Michael Murphy, Faculty
- Kerry Ryer-Parke '90, Faculty
- Mary Bucksbaum Scanlan '91, Trustee
- Kim Scott, Trustee
- Jim Simon ’97, Trustee
- Nick Stephens ’77, Trustee
- Ray Stevens ’15, Staff
Provost and Dean's Office Staffing Changes
Provost and Dean Isabel Roche announced staffing changes to the Provost and Dean's office during the presidential transition, beginning July 1, 2019.
- John Bullock, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, will take on the role of Acting Provost.
- Oceana Wilson, Dean of the Library, will take on the role of Acting Dean of the College.
- Noah Coburn will take on the newly created role of Associate Dean for Curriculum and Pedagogy.
Search Committee Request for Nominations
On May 9, 2019, Bennington College staff and faculty were invited to submit nominations for staff and faculty appointments to the presidential search committee. The search committee will be comprised of staff, faculty, alumni, trustees, and other friends of the College.
Dr. Silver Appointed President and CEO of Henry Luce Foundation
On April 22, 2019, the Henry Luce Foundation announced Dr. Mariko Silver's appointment as the foundation's next President and CEO. Provost and Dean Isabel Roche was appointed Interim President following Silver's departure on July 1, 2019.