Transfer Students

Our transfer students are part of a growing community at Bennington. Approximately ten percent of our student body has transferred here from another institution. Transfer students often come to Bennington with clear ideas about what they are seeking from an education.

Bennington's transfer students tend to be drawn to the College's distinctive approach to education. Here students create their own courses of study, collaborate with their teachers—who are also their advisors—to plan an education with breadth and depth, unified and fueled by their own particular passions. They are challenged throughout their education to explore questions that matter to them, to pursue their curiosities wherever they may lead. By writing and rewriting their plans of study and by discussing evolving ideas with faculty planning committees, students design, chart, and defend their courses of study. Throughout this exceptional process, students learn to develop the structures they need to shape their education—and their lives.

If you have graduated from high school (or earned a high school equivalency) and then gone on to earn college credit, you are a transfer applicant. Please apply as a transfer even if you have withdrawn from your degree program or are not currently enrolled.

To graduate from Bennington, we require 128 credits and at least two years of full-time campus residence. We accept most liberal arts and performing arts credits, as well as credit granted from technical courses such as computer science. We do not accept more than 64 credits from another degree program. 

We require

  • A completed Transfer Common Application.
  • A short Bennington transfer essay (as part of the Common Application's Bennington Member Page).
  • Two Academic Evaluations from college professors. Invite your recommenders via the Common Application.
  • The Transfer College Report. Use the form provided by the Transfer Common Application.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges attended (excluding dual enrollment courses which have gone toward high school graduation credit).
  • The Mid-Term Report, if you are applying while currently enrolled elsewhere. Use the form provided by the Transfer Common Application.
  • Complete high school transcript(s). You may choose to use the Final Report form provided by the Transfer Common Application (recommended for students in their first year of college).
  • A $60 application fee.

We encourage, but do not require

  • An interview. These are one-on-one conversations with the Transfer Coordinator, who will contact you after reading your application to schedule an interview.
  • Supplementary materials. When we receive your Transfer Common Application, we will email you instructions for accessing your personal application status page, which you can use to upload supplemental materials.


  • Test scores, such as the SAT or ACT