Arrival and Upcoming Year

Getting Started: A Guide to Planning Your Arrival and Upcoming Year

Welcome Activities

We look forward to welcoming you to Bennington and giving you and your fellow students some time to get to know each other and the area before embarking on your studies. Below is a schedule of activities to kick off the year—we hope you will be able to arrive in time to join us.

Whenever you arrive, check in at Campus Safety (open 24 hours a day) for your welcome packet. For those who are planning to live in College housing, your room keys and directions will be included.

  • June 11, 2019, 9:00 am | College housing opens
  • June 12, 2019, TBD | Postbac Orientation
  • June 12, 2019, 5:00 pm | BBQ with faculty and staff, Dickinson Science Building patio 
  • June 13, 2019, 9:00 am | Classes begin with Chemistry I: Chemical Principles 

Campus Identification Card (The Bennington Card)

The Bennington Card is the official identification card of Bennington College. Issued to all members of the College community, it is required for identification, access to essential campus services and residential houses, and offers a convenient prepaid spending account for making cashless purchases around campus. To access your account, go to the cardholder account center. To ensure that your Bennington Card is ready when you arrive on campus we ask that all students submit a passport or headshot photograph via email to Student Life preferably in .jpg format. Please be sure to name your photo with your complete name. The subject line for your email should read: New student photo attached for (your name here). If you do not have the means to email your photo, you may wait until your arrival on campus. The Information Technology office will photograph you. For more information or to add money to your account, visit the Bennington Card information webpage.


Bennington College offers meal plans structured specifically for postbac students. These meal plans are available each term, though summer offerings are limited. Student Center and Dining Hall hours change throughout the year and are posted on the offices directory. For more information about meal plans and to enroll, visit the Bookstore in the Barn or contact the Bookstore at 802-440-4361.

Graduate Housing and Vehicles

College housing is available for the summer term or for the duration of the program. You can also research rental opportunities on the chamber of commerce website, the Bennington Banner (local newspaper), and on craigslist.

Year-round housing is offered at:
  • Paran Creek Apartments: A contemporary apartment building in North Bennington with a lit, paved path to campus. Apartments are two and three bedrooms and are fully furnished.

    To reserve an on-campus space for the year, print and fill out the rental agreement and mail it to the address on the form, along with a deposit check payable to Bennington College.

Housing and Vehicle Basics


Campus Safety officers are on duty 7 days a week, 24 hours a day to provide protection and assistance to all members of the College community. In addition, Campus Safety enforces non-academic rules and regulations established by the College, oversees vehicle registration, and works to promote a cooperative and safe environment for students, faculty, and staff living on campus. Campus Safety personnel regularly make rounds of all College buildings and patrol the campus. For more information regarding safety on campus, contact Campus Safety, 802-440-4420.


Your guests must sign in with Campus Safety upon arrival. The College's complete guest policy is outlined in the Student Handbook. All students must register their guest(s) with Campus Safety, at which time a pass is issued, with the guest required to leave an ID. This ID is returned when the guest pass is surrendered and the guest departs campus. Note: Students are responsible for the conduct of their guest(s) at all times.


Student rooms are approximately 10'x13', with variations depending on the architecture of the house. You will have the following furnishings for your room:

  • Twin-size bed (extra long mattress, box spring, and frame)
  • Desk and chair
  • Bookcase
  • Dresser
  • Closet or wardrobe
  • Internet access (wired and wireless)

Note: College furnishings cannot be removed from student rooms and storage space is limited, so you are strongly discouraged from bringing large furnishings (e.g. sofa, futon, etc.) with you to campus.

Permitted Items

  • Microwaves, mini-fridges, hair dryers, electric aroma diffusers, and solar/battery-powered twinkle lights are allowed to be used in your room—other plug-in devises (e.g., hair irons, clothing irons, rice cookers, electric kettles, Keurig coffee makers, etc.) can only be used in the bathrooms and kitchens
  • Seasonal clothing (heavy coat, hat, boots, gloves, and rain gear)
  • Bedding—pillow, comforters, blankets, mattress cover, and linens (all beds require twin extra-long sheets)
  • Hangers
  • Towels and shower caddy
  • Toiletries
  • Laundry bag/basket and detergent
  • Iron
  • Pictures, posters, and other decorative items (can be hung with sticky tack or small push pins)
  • Alarm clock
  • Lamps (desk, floor)—lamps are not furnished and most rooms in the Colonial Houses do not provide overhead lighting; 6-watt or 10-watt LED bulbs are encouraged, or incandescent bulbs of 60 watts or less
  • Power strips (UL listed only); extension cords are not permitted
  • Computer; see recommended standards
  • Stereo equipment
  • Dorm-sized refrigerator (less than 3 cubic feet); refrigerators are also available in house kitchens
  • TV and VCR/DVD player; cable television is not provided in student rooms or houses
  • Area rugs
  • Broom and other cleaning supplies
  • Bicycle and lock
  • White-noise machine (if you're sensitive to noise)

Prohibited Items

If you have any questions about specific items or are unsure if something is prohibited or allowed, please do not hesitate to email

  • Pets (other than fish)
  • Hot plate or other appliances with an exposed heating element
  • Halogen lamps
  • Electric, kerosene, or gas heaters
  • Air conditioners
  • Any heavy-use appliance that exceeds 1,000 watts
  • Candles or incense of any kind (Note: Possession of such will result in fines and disciplinary action. Electric aroma diffusers are a safe alternative.)
  • Firearms/weapons
  • Hoverboards
  • Plug-in twinkle lights (there are many solar/battery-powered twinkle light alternatives)

Vehicle Registration

  • Automobiles: All incoming students are welcome to bring a vehicle with them to campus. There is a $60 fee per term for a parking permit. All vehicles must be registered with Campus Safety on arrival. In order to register a vehicle, students must bring the following required documents:
    • Valid operator’s license
    • Valid vehicle registration
    • Proof of insurance (the State of Vermont requires proof of insurance to be carried on all vehicles)

There will be a member of Campus Safety available to assist you when you check in on campus, 9:00 am–5:00 pm. Questions regarding vehicles may be referred to Director of Campus Safety Ken Collamore (x4420 or 802-442-4420 from off campus).

  • Bicycles: If you bring your bike to campus, you are encouraged to register your bike with Campus Safety. Bicycles must be stored either in bike racks outside the houses or in your room. During Field Work Term, free storage space is available on campus for bicycles.