Student Employment

Students who receive work allotments, either Federal Work Study (FWS) or international work awards, are generally eligible to earn up to $1,150 per term.

Positions on campus are for one term only unless otherwise specified. Below, find out how to apply for available on-campus positions or what to do if you'd like to work off campus.

The Student Employment Handbook offers complete guidelines to working on campus. Brief summaries of important topics are below. Still have questions? Contact, call (802) 440-4321, or schedule a campus jobs help session. 

Work Eligibility

Students who are Federal Work Study (FWS) recipients or international students with (Reg Job) campus employment as part of their financial aid packages are eligible to work and will be granted summer access to search positions on Handshake. Students who do not have work eligibility in their financial aid package will be granted access to positions that remain unfilled by the start of fall term.

Finding a Job on Handshake

As of 2018 all available campus positions will posted on Handshake—no positions will be hired outside of the Handshake system. From Handshake, go to the “Jobs” tab and click “On-Campus” directly below the search bar. Just click on the title of any job you are interested in to learn more about an available position, including: wage, skills required, hours available, supervisor name, and application considerations.

Applying for Jobs on Handshake

Handshake makes it easy to apply for jobs—just click “Apply” and follow the instructions for each position. All positions require resumes, and some may require cover letters and extra documents such as course schedules. For support in writing or editing your resume, book an appointment

Hiring coordinators will review all submitted applications and select finalists for each role. If you do not hear back from the positions to which you applied, you may want to broaden the scope of roles that you apply to, as some positions are in very high demand. If you have questions about the status of your application, please contact or book a campus jobs help session.

For some positions, a hiring coordinator may want to set up an interview if interested in your application. As with your resume, how you interview is a key factor in a hiring coordinator’s decision. We strongly encourage you to book an interview practice session and/or to check out our interview resources.

Getting Paid

Once hired, you’ll need to complete two federal forms and provide relevant ID (see below) before you can start work. Students can go to the Business Office (Barn 105) to process this paperwork. New students entering in the fall can also bring their paperwork to the Financial Aid/Student Employment table at Orientation. International students who have additional questions can check in with Kate Child in Academic Advising who is the Primary Designated Official for International Students. Students who worked on campus last year only need to fill these forms out if they previously filed “exempt,” or if their tax status has changed significantly in some other way.

Form W-4. This is a tax-withholding form and all students who are working must have one on file. Essentially, this is how you tell the government how much should be withheld from each paycheck for tax purposes. The College cannot tell you how to complete this, so if you can, complete it before arriving with help from family or an accountant/tax advisor. Print the W-4 form, complete it as instructed, and bring the original to campus. The only part you have to complete is the bottom half of page 1 titled Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. The last thing you do is sign and date that section. Remember to keep a copy for your own records. Complete this form in ink. Hand signature is required on this form.

Form I-9. This is an employment-eligibility form that is generally required by the government for everyone who is employed in the U.S. Although there are a lot of instructions for this form, it’s really pretty simple. Print the I-9 form and complete Section 1: Employee Information and Attestation. The last thing you’ll do is sign and date that section. Everything else is up to the College. In order for us to complete the form so you are eligible to work, you must bring with you original identification documents. We need to see the actual documents and cannot accept photocopies or faxes. There is a complete list of acceptable identification forms on page nine of the form. If you have your Passport, it will serve for both columns. Please note that if you do not provide a document from column A, you will need to produce documents from both column B and column C. Bring the original to campus with you and remember to keep a copy for your records.

Successful processing of your I-9 and W-4 will allow you to submit your timesheets online and collect wages. The first time you log in, you will be prompted to agree to the College’s Terms and Conditions of Employment before you are able to complete your timesheet. You can record your hours throughout the week and save the form each time, but note that timesheets will not be processed for payment until you submit them. Those of you interested in direct deposit can fill out the Direct Deposit Form and submit this directly to the Business Office in Barn 105. List of timesheet due dates and pay dates.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I have more than one job?

Yes, although doing so will affect how quickly you reach your $1,150-per-term campus work allotment. For each separate job you take, your supervisor or employment coordinator must complete a digital Payroll Authorization Form, which establishes that you’ve been hired by that department. 

What is the hourly rate of pay?

The great majority of campus jobs are paid at Vermont minimum wage, which is $10.78 per hour as of January 1, 2019. A small handful of campus jobs which carry supervisory responsibilities pay more than minimum wage, and this is marked on their Handshake listings in cases where it applies.

How many hours can I work?

Some jobs require an equal number of hours each week; others may be short term, or vary according to the workload. Students can never exceed 20 hours in a single week during the academic term.

How do I get paid?

As you work during the term, complete your online timesheets showing the hours you have worked during the current (usually two-week) pay period. Make sure to click "submit" on your timesheet(s) by the payroll deadline. The full payroll schedule is available online. Your paycheck is sent to your College mailbox, or you may have your check deposited directly in your bank account.

Can I work if I'm not Federal Work-Study (FWS) eligible?

All FWS-eligible students are prioritized for work. High-need international students with work allotments in their financial aid awards are also prioritized for work but paid through the regular, not the FWS, payroll. Students without work awards may only work at jobs which remain unfilled by work-eligible students after the first round of hiring.

Can I do Federal Work Study (FWS) during Field Work Term (FWT) and summer?

FWS funds are not available during FWT and summer. A limited number of campus employment positions are available on campus over FWT and summer, but paid as regular-pay wages. If you are hired for a job over FWT or the summer, the money you make during off-term time in an on-campus job will not count towards your FWS allotment.

Are my earnings, even Federal Work-Study (FWS), taxable?

Yes. Student earnings, including FWS earnings, are considered earned income and are therefore subject to all applicable taxes. Additionally, please be aware that earnings appearing on your tax statements also affect your FAFSA, and may therefore affect your financial aid status. If you are concerned about this happening, please consult the Financial Aid Office for details.

Can I work off campus?

Students who wish to supplement their campus earnings or who are not working on campus but wish to have a job are welcome to seek employment in and around Bennington and can search opportunities on Handshake. Additionally, for those students who wish to proactively reach out to local employers and inquire about potential employment opportunities, check out part-time job listings on Handshake. There are also a few local off campus organizations that do offer FWS-eligible positions. Because they are FWS-eligible, they will be listed on Handshake as “On-Campus” jobs even though they are off-site.

(International students should see International Student Services to discuss visa eligibility for working off campus.)

What is the College’s nondiscrimination policy?

Bennington College's nondiscrimination policy can be found here.