Application Info and Deadlines
We're thrilled that you are interested in the Bennington Writing Seminars, one of the top low-residency MFA programs in the country. Take the next step by applying to join us for a rigorous two years of reading, writing, workshops, mentoring, and friendship.
Use Bennington's online application to submit your materials for application to the MFA in Writing program. Below are the basics of what you need to apply, including deadlines and the application checklist.
If you'd like to know more about us, please join our communities on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn about our students, graduates, and faculty members, and to get a feel for what a residency is like.
- March 1: MFA admission applications due for June residency. Financial aid application due April 1.
- September 1: MFA admission and financial aid applications due for January residency.
- $70 application fee or $100 Dual-Genre application fee (both are non-refundable and cannot be waived).
- Application form with supporting written materials.
- Three recommendations from people who are familiar with your writing and/or your ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Official transcript from each college or university you have attended. Transcripts can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to Bennington MFA in Writing, Bennington College, One College Drive, Bennington, VT 05201
- Essay: A two- or three-page essay discussing your reading life and your engagement with the literature of other writers is required.
- Writing Sample: A manuscript of your work (for fiction and nonfiction applicants, 20 pages of fiction or nonfiction, double-spaced, in a readable font such as 12 point Times New Roman; for poetry applicants, 10 pages of poetry) must be submitted. Dual-genre applicants must submit a manuscript for each genre in which they are applying.
- Financial Aid: Graduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may use federal student loans to help finance their studies at Bennington. When applying for admission, interested students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the online Bennington College Application for Financial Aid. More information available here.
Contact us at email@example.com or 802-440-4452