Student Employment

Campus jobs are in high demand. To provide the greatest number of students with an opportunity to work on campus, all employed students—Federal Work Study (FWS) and regular pay—will be eligible to earn up to $1,150 per term, which averages out to approximately 8-9 hours per week for the full term. Positions on campus are for one term only. Below, find out how to apply for available on-campus positions or what to do if you'd like to work off campus. Still have questions? Contact Anya Piotrowski, Assistant Director for Community Engagement, in UpCaf 203, at, or at (802)440-4370. Or, schedule an appointment with the Field Work Term Office for help with your resume or communicating with hiring coordinators.

Landing a Campus Job

Step 1: View Campus Job Postings

Available campus positions will start to be posted on WorkLink just prior to or at the start of each term. New students entering in the fall who are Federal Work Study (FWS) recipients or international students with campus employment as part of their financial-aid package will be emailed WorkLink account information in late July to allow priority in the application process. New students without campus employment as part of their financial aid package and/or who enter in the spring term will be emailed WorkLink approximately two weeks before the start of each term. Students who wait to apply to a job or who only apply to one are less likely to secure a position. Log in and from the homepage go to the “Job Listings” shortcut and select “Campus Jobs.” Just click on the title of any job you are interested in to learn more about an available position.

Step 2: Complete Student Employment Application

Download a copy of the Student Employment Application, fill it out, and upload it into your Documents in WorkLink. This will allow you to apply to campus jobs through WorkLink. You will need to complete a new application each academic year even if you worked on campus in the past. You do not need to fill out multiple Student Employment Applications per term even if you are applying to multiple positions. Also, be sure to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment, as you’ll sign off on these terms a bit further along in the process.

Step 3: Apply for Job(s)

Upload the completed application to the “Your Documents” section of WorkLink and use this to apply online to any campus jobs listed on WorkLink. Note that most position applications require other information, such as a resume, to assess your skills and experience. In the “Your Documents” section, upload your resume as a “Resume” and your application as a “Student Employment Application.” Need help with this? Stop by and see Anya in UpCaf 203, or call (802)440-4370.

Step 4: Meet with Department Supervisor

A hiring coordinator or supervisor in the department to which you are applying will be in touch with you and may want to set up an interview if interested in your application. It’s a good idea to follow up with individual offices after you have applied, to inquire about your application status if you do not hear from someone within 10 days.

Step 5: Fill Out Required Federal Forms

If you are hired, congratulations! Now, you’ll need to complete two federal forms and provide relevant ID (see below) before you can start work. Students can go to the Financial Aid Office (Barn 104) to process this paperwork. New students entering in the fall can also bring their paperwork to the Financial Aid/Student Employment table at Orientation. International students who have additional questions can check in with Kate Child in Academic Advising who is the Primary Designated Official for International Students. Students who worked on campus last year only need to fill these forms out if they previously filed “exempt,” or if their tax status has changed significantly in some other way.

  • Form W-4. This is a tax-withholding form and all students who are working must have one on file. Essentially, this is how you tell the government how much should be withheld from each paycheck for tax purposes. The College cannot tell you how to complete this, so if you can, complete it before arriving with help from family or an accountant/tax advisor. Print the W-4 form, complete it as instructed, and bring the original to campus. The only part you have to complete is the bottom half of page 1 titled Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. The last thing you do is sign and date that section. Remember to keep a copy for your own records.
  • Form I-9. This is an employment-eligibility form that is generally required by the government for everyone who is employed in the U.S. Although there are a lot of instructions for this form, it’s really pretty simple. Print the I-9 form and complete Section 1. Employee Information and Attestation. The last thing you’ll do is sign and date that section. Everything else is up to the College. In order for us to complete the form so you are eligible to work, you must bring with you original identification documents. We need to see the actual documents and cannot accept photocopies or faxes. There is a complete list of acceptable identification forms on page nine of the form. Please note that if you do not provide a document from column A, you will need to produce documents from both column B and column C. Bring the original to campus with you and remember to keep a copy for your records.

Step 6: Timesheet Submission and Payment

Successful processing of your I-9 and W-4 will allow you to submit your timesheets online and collect wages. The first time you log in, you will be prompted to agree to the College’s Terms and Conditions of Employment before you are able to complete your timesheet. You can record your hours throughout the week and save the form each time, but note that timesheets will not be processed for payment until you submit them. Those of you interested in direct deposit can fill out the Direct Deposit Form and submit this directly to the Business Office in Barn 105. List of timesheet due dates and pay dates.

Student Employment FAQs

How many jobs may I apply for?

Consider applying for more than one job. You may not be hired for the position that’s your first choice, particularly in your first term at Bennington. A portion of fall on-campus positions are reserved for first-year students with priority given to Federal Work Study (FWS) recipients and international students with campus employment aid allotment. However, any of these jobs that go unfilled by the end of the first week of term due to a lack of first-year applicants will be made available to all students. First-year students are encouraged to apply for on-campus jobs as soon as you receive your WorkLink account information. Check WorkLink regularly as a job you want may open up later or in another term. Please note that due to an fluctuating number of campus positions, you are not guaranteed a job, even if you have been awarded Federal Work Study. Additionally, fewer student positions are available in the spring and as such, a fall term position does not guarantee a spring term job.

Can I have more than one job?

Yes, although students may not earn more than $1,150 per term from all campus jobs combined. For each separate job you take, your supervisor or employment coordinator must complete a digital Payroll Authorization Form, which establishes that you’ve been hired by that department.

What is the hourly rate of pay?

All students will be paid at an hourly rate of $10.00.

How many hours can I work?

Some jobs require an equal number of hours each week; others may be short term, or vary according to the workload. Students work an average of five to six hours per week in a term; however you may work up to an average of eight to nine hours per week and cannot earn more than $1,150 per term for on-campus work. Students can never exceed 20 hours in a single week during the academic terms; however, during summer and over Field Work Term, students may work up to 40 hours per week in on-campus jobs.

How do I get paid?

As you work during the term, complete your online timesheets showing the hours you have worked during the current (usually two-week) pay period. Make sure to click submit on your timesheet(s) by the payroll deadline. Full payroll schedule.

Your paycheck is sent to your College mailbox or you may have your check deposited directly in your bank account.

Can I work if I'm not Federal Work-Study (FWS) eligible?

Yes, however, only students with FWS in their financial aid awards are eligible for jobs paid on the FWS payroll. Job postings may clarify if a position is restricted to FWS recipients. All other students can be paid through the non-FWS payroll known as “regular pay.”

Can I do Federal Work Study (FWS) during Field Work Term (FWT)?

FWS funds are not available during FWT. FWS students can work on campus over FWT, but you will be paid as a regular-pay employee. The money you make over FWT in an on-campus job will not count towards your FWS allotment.

Are my earnings, even Federal Work-Study (FWS), taxable?

Yes. Student earnings, including FWS earnings, are considered earned income and are therefore subject to all applicable taxes.

Can I work off campus?

Students who wish to supplement their campus earnings or who are not working on campus but wish to have a job are welcome to seek employment in and around Bennington. (International students see International Student Advisor Kate Child in Academic Services to discuss your specific situation.) Local businesses that have posted a position with the College can be found on WorkLink under the “Bennington Area Jobs” shortcut on the right of the home screen. Additionally, for those students who wish to proactively reach out to local employers and inquire about potential employment opportunities, click here for a list of many local Bennington businesses. There are also a few local off campus organizations that do offer FWS-eligible positions. Because they are FWS-eligible, they will be listed on WorkLink under “Jobs > Campus Jobs” even though they are off-site.

What is the College’s nondiscrimination policy?

Bennington College's nondiscrimination policy can be found here.