Field Work Term Options
With support from Field Work Term and academic advisors, students choose from a broad array of work-integrated learning experiences to “count” for their annual field work requirement. All of these experiences are designed to combine theory and practice, deepen knowledge and understanding, and enhance work-related capacities.
Students are coached to select a wide variety of experiences which are progressive, additive, and integrated with their academic learning. All students must complete at least one internship in their four years and cannot repeat any of the other field work experience options without special approval. All field work options require active learning, consistent supervision, structured self-reflection, and employer/supervisor feedback.
Options for FWT are:
- Internships during the summer or winter period (including FWT internships posted by College partners, other internships on Handshake, and positions students find on their own)
- Fellowships in specific content areas with a cohort of other students
- Independent Study supervised by a Bennington faculty member
- Professional Apprenticeship or Certification in a professional trade or skill
- Student employment or community engagement or local part-time work (must meet all of the FWT requirements during the academic year; Request an Experience and list the term "Fall 2020 & Spring 2021" to request approval)
- Study Away with an experiential learning component (students with approved study away during fall or spring term are eligible to waive their FWT for that academic year)
All field work experiences are listed in Handshake, the College's career and experiential opportunities database, which offers access to thousands of learning opportunities across the country and the globe. Students are not required to find an opportunity through Handshake; many find field work on their own, adding to our ever-growing resource pool. This array of options is one of the reasons that 90% of students secured a top-choice position for their most recent Field Work Term.
Searching FWT Options in Handshake
- FWT internships during the summer or winter: Search by job type "Co-Op." You can also further filter by location, industry/ies, keywords, compensation type, housing provided, remote work allowed, and other criteria.
- Other summer internships: You'll also find hundreds of other summer internships in Handshake by searching under job type "Internship" and keyword "summer." Contact the FWT office to discuss whether a particular opportunity is eligible for FWT credit.
- Fellowships: To find FWT-eligible fellowship opportunities, search by job type "Fellowship," and add the search label "field work term position."
- Student employment: Search by job type "On-Campus" to find all campus jobs. To propose counting your student employment position for Field Work Term, Request an Experience and list the term "Fall 2020 & Spring 2021."