Field Work Term Options
With support from Field Work Term and academic advisors, students choose from a broad array of work-integrated learning experiences to “count” for their annual field work requirement. All of these experiences are designed to combine theory and practice, deepen knowledge and understanding, and enhance work-related capacities.
At Bennington, you must successfully complete four Field Work Term experiences to graduate, one of them being an internship. All field work options require:
- Active learning: Advance the learning goals of your Plan and professional development
- Consistent supervision: By someone experienced and knowledgeable in the field
- Structured self-reflection: Articulate the experience in relation to your work and growth
- Supervisor feedback: Provide adequate guidance to enhance your learning experience
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may choose to prioritize your health and safety by choosing one of our flexible options in a timeline that best fits your needs and circumstances. More information on Field Work Term and COVID-19 is available here.
Options for FWT are as follows. All may be completed virtually, except student employment and study away.
A Fellowship provides funding, mentorship, and a cohort of students working with you in a particular focus. Areas include environmental action, food insecurity and population health, public action, and entrepreneurship.
Dive into a particular research area, theme, or question, working in association with a faculty sponsor during an Independent Study.
Study Away and broaden or specialize your interests and area of concentration in a new and exciting environment. Opportunities may be limited due to COVID-19.
Searching FWT Options in Handshake
Handshake, the College's career and experiential opportunities database, offers access to thousands of learning opportunities across the country and the globe. Students are not required to find an opportunity through Handshake; many find field work on their own, adding to our ever-growing resource pool. This array of options is one of the reasons that 90% of students secured a top-choice position for their most recent Field Work Term.
- FWT internships during the summer or winter: Search by job type "Co-Op." You can also further filter by location, industry/ies, keywords, compensation type, housing provided, remote work allowed, and other criteria.
- Other internships: You'll also find hundreds of other internships in Handshake by searching under job type "Internship." Contact the FWT office to discuss whether a particular opportunity is eligible for FWT credit.
- Fellowships: To find FWT-eligible fellowship opportunities, search by job type "Fellowship," and add the search label "field work term position."
- Student employment: Search by job type "On-Campus" to find all campus jobs. To propose counting your student employment position for Field Work Term, Request an Experience and list the term "Fall 2020 & Spring 2021."