The January 6 Project: Preserving Democracy
This fall, Bennington College's Center for the Advancement of Public Action (CAPA) hosts the January 6 project, a six-week series examining the historical, cultural, and political events that led to the attack on the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021.
On January 6, 2021, a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the United States Capitol with the goal of overturning Trump’s lost re-election bid. Although most Americans feared they were witnessing the crumbling of America’s democracy, others supported the attackers.
Through all of this, questions must be asked and answered on why and how the United States reached this point and how do we, as a nation, learn, teach and move forward to strengthen our democracy and institutions. Bennington College and CAPA believe it is incumbent upon American colleges and universities to take an active role in this process of strengthening our democracy.
CAPA's January 6 Project examines the historical, cultural and political events that led to the attack with the goal of understanding its causes, in all its forms, in order to shed light and expose truths for an informed citizenry to act to prevent this type of assault on democracy.
Explore January 6 Project Media Coverage
- The Alt-Right and White Nationalism on the American Landscape: "Forum Speaker Describes the Rise of Alt-Right Nationalism" (Manchester Journal, Oct. 1, 2021)
- Religion, Race, and American Politics: "Scholar Discusses Religion and the Jan. 6 Insurrection" (Bennington Banner, Sept. 26, 2021)
- Witnessing January 6 and the Response from Congress: "Welch Describes Experiences at Capitol Building on Jan. 6" (Brattleboro Reformer, Sept. 19, 2021)
- How Did We Get Here? Perspectives on American Democracy from its Founding to Today: "Historians Discuss What Led to Jan. 6 Insurrection During CAPA Forum" (Brattleboro Reformer, Sept. 12, 2021)
- "Bennington College CAPA Symposiums on Event of January 6" (WAMC The Roundtable, Sept. 13, 2021)
- "Bennington College Plans Forums on Jan. 6 Attack on Capitol" (Bennington Banner, Sept. 2, 2021)