All Things Student Life
Happening in Student Life
Barn Renovation Updates
The renovation of the fire-damaged Southeast Wing of the Barn is now in full swing, and is projected to be complete in Fall of this year. You will have the chance to watch the building take shape over the course of the spring term: foundation and concrete work will continue into February, followed by framing of walls and roof. While it will look from the outside just like the Barn we’ve always known, the new wing includes a host of exciting improvements, including energy-efficient construction and systems, shared lounge spaces for meetings and conversation, and an elevator which will enhance accessibility for the whole building.
During construction, access to the remainder of the Barn will be limited to the entrances on the western side of the quad, as well as the rear entrance in the courtyard facing the Pond. Access to the second floor is limited to the stairs across from the Financial Aid office. The parking lot on the east side of the building (between the Barn and Cricket Hill) is also not accessible to vehicles or pedestrians. Thanks for your understanding and patience as we work to breathe new life into our Barn!
Spring housing assignments will be sent to your Bennington email address by Monday, February 8, 2021. Please note, housing assignments are only sent to students whose housing has changed after the fall term. If you were approved for a room change prior to January, you will not receive an email. The majority of students did not have a change to their housing, as housing assignments are typically for the duration of the full academic year. If you have any questions about your housing assignment or believe that there is an error, please contact Housing.
- If you have stored items in Bingham (items from the Student Center have been moved to Bingham), Noyes, Sawtell or Fels from the Spring term you may access your belongings after quarantine. Please bring what you need for your quarantine period. If your items are stored in Noyes, Sawtell, or Fels, but you no longer live there, please contact Student Life to work out arrangements to retrieve your belongings after the quarantine period.
- After quarantine there will be designated hours to retrieve your belongings.
Spring End-of-Term Information
Support our housekeepers and Buildings and Grounds! At the end of this term there is a really tight turnaround to get campus ready for summer programs, and B&G needs your help, so please be mindful of the move-out times.
- For Undergraduates not attending commencement, student houses close at noon on Friday May 28.
- Undergraduates who are staying for commencement need to be moved out by 4:00 pm on Saturday, May 29.
- Graduating seniors will need to be completely moved out of rooms by 10:00 am on Sunday, May 30. This will also impact students who are staying for Summer Housing in Paran Creek.
- MFA students start arriving on June 2.
We hope you will help us throughout the term to prepare for summer by beginning to pack early, making donations throughout the term to the Bennington Thrift Exchange, and thinking about travel dates, airfares, and summer storage options (see listings below). Storage on campus will not be available over the summer.
- Bennington Self Storage: 802-447-3238
- All Seasons Moving & Storage: Arlington, VT 802-375-9028
- Cambridge Valley Self Storage, Cambridge, NY 518-727-2002
- Non-perishable foods will be distributed during the check in period. This food will last through the in-room quarantine.
- Beginning on Monday, February 15, designated students will go to Roz’s or the Dining Hall (per a schedule) to pick up food for the entire house. If you wish to volunteer for this role, email Student Life.
- The Dining Hall will resume regular term hours with breakfast on February 24.
- Roz’s Cafe will resume regular term hours with breakfast on February 24.
- All meals are take out for the foreseeable future.
The Bookstore will be open during the term, hours vary. The online store is always available and during house quarantine, students can order online for pick up and delivery to the door of their campus house. Note that this service is not available during the in-room quarantine period.
The Post Office in the Commons and package pick up in Buildings & Grounds will resume regular hours on after House quarantine is lifted:
- Monday-Friday, 10:00 am-4:00 pm
A plan for package pick up the weekend of Saturday, February 13 and Sunday, February 14 is being worked out. More details to follow.
Office for Student Engagement
- February 25-March 5: Club and Org Tabling, Lunch and Dinner periods, Commons Courtyard. Come check out campus clubs and organizations, meet club leaders, get up to date info about plans for the semester and more. Clubs will be staggered throughout this nine day window to allow for a safe experience. Specific club and org timeframes will be posted around campus as we get closer to the event date(s).
- Don’t forget to “like” the Office for Student Engagement’s Facebook page and “follow” us on Instagram (@benncollegeose) for more news, resources, and events!
Fitness and Recreation Update
Cross-country skis and snowshoes are available to borrow this winter. Students may sign out snowshoes and cross-country skis from the Meyer Recreation Barn. During the term please check the Meyer Rec Barn web page, the Bennington Athletic Department Facebook page and College Week for upcoming classes and hours. If you have any questions, please email Student Life. Note that the Meyer Rec Barn will be closed February 13-February 24 for the quarantine period.
The U.S. government requires that all international students are registered (through SEVIS) for the upcoming term. In order to comply with this, all international students must complete the SEVIS Check-In form by February 19, 2021. Students who do not complete this process will not be registered in SEVIS and, as a result, will jeopardize their F-1 student visa status. If you have any questions, please contact Rage Hezekiah in Academic Services.
Computer Anti-Virus Software
IT@Bennington would like to remind you to update your anti-virus software before reconnecting to the campus network, as you are responsible for keeping your computer virus-free while connected to the network. If you need an Anti-Virus Program and prefer not to purchase one, there are many great options available for free on both Apple and Windows operating systems.
Campus Safety and Parking
- Parking decals: Students who have a vehicle on campus and do not already have a 2020-2021decal must register it with Campus Safety immediately following the quarantine period. The cost for a decal is $140 for the year, or $70 for just the Spring 2021 term. To get your decal, you will need to provide a current license, valid registration, and proof of insurance. Deadline for vehicle registration is Monday, March 1, 2021. If you had a vehicle on campus last term but will not this term, you must let the Office of Campus Safety know in writing to Kenneth Collamore, Director of Campus Safety, so that your student account can be credited $70. Off-campus students (residing in Longmeadow, Shingle, Paran Creek, and Welling Town House) are required to register their cars with Campus Safety, but there is no annual fee. Parking is available in all student lots. More information will be provided upon registration.
Student Health Center
Health and Psychological Services will open for regular business on Monday, February 15. Virtual appointments can be made by calling the Student Health Center at 802-440-4426 (on campus x4426) or sending an email to email@example.com.
- It is mandatory that all full-time Bennington College students be covered by a health insurance policy and have that policy on file with the Student Health Center. Students must provide proof of health insurance coverage. If you do not have and fail to provide proof of insurance coverage, you will not be able to enroll or attend as a student at Bennington.
- For returning students, if there are no changes to your proof of insurance submitted by you for the Fall term, you don't need to do anything. If your insurance has changed, please submit a new Proof of Health Insurance. Example: If you received a new health insurance ID card since last Fall, please submit the new information.
- International students who are new or returning from leave, are required to purchase the IFS Secure Plus policy by February 1 for coverage starting February 15. If proof of coverage is not provided by February 1, the College will purchase the IFS plan on the student’s behalf and will post the cost to the student bill with a $100 administrative fee.
- Be aware that Bennington College Health Center charges usual and customary fees, just like any private doctor’s office.
If you have questions, feel free to contact Health Services at (802) 440-4426 or email Health Services.
Per state law, we are sharing aggregated student immunization rates below. If you have any questions, please contact Health Services.