Student Health Insurance

All full-time Bennington College students must be covered by a health insurance policy. College-sponsored insurance plans are not available to us. Student must provide their own insurance coverage. If you do not have insurance coverage, you will not be able to enroll or attend as a student at Bennington. Students need to provide Proof of Health Insurance with a copy of their insurance card to Bennington College and need to plan accordingly to pay their bill for services in the Health Center.

If you need to update your insurance information, please fill out a Proof of Insurance form. 

As you work through the decision process to determine the best option for health coverage while at college, know that the Bennington College Health Center charges usual and customary fees, just like any private doctor's office.

It is your responsibility to review your insurance options and to determine whether your chosen coverage will pay for services away from home, as you will be billed for any fees that are not covered. It is common for students living away from home in a new and stressful environment to utilize health and psychological services. Students from varying insurance networks can accumulate large balances, only to be surprised when they receive a bill that their insurer refuses to pay. Even worse, they may avoid seeking healthcare out of concern over the expense, which may cause even more advanced health problems.

Because insurance policy documents can often be confusing, the most direct way to determine what your insurance will cover is to call the customer service number on your insurance card and speak to a representative. Be sure to ask the following:

  • Is Bennington College Health Center, which includes health and psychological services (not the individual doctors or therapists) considered in-network? When inquiring us the College's NPI number: 1063851350
  • What if I need to visit the campus doctor, what will the insurance cover?
  • What if I need counseling sessions with a licensed therapist at the College’s Psychological Services office, what will the insurance cover?
  • Is Southwestern Vermont Medical Center (our local hospital) in-network?
  • What if I have an Emergency Room visit at the local hospital, what will the insurance cover?
  • What will I be responsible for out-of-pocket (such as deductibles, co-pays and coinsurance)?
  • How much will I have to pay for medicines? Can I use a mail-order pharmacy and are there discounts for doing so?
  • What services are excluded?
  • What is the deductible amount that must be met before charges are covered?

In addition to other plan options you may have, you can review your eligibility and rate for coverage offered directly through state or federal health insurance exchanges. Suggested insurance options include, but not limited to:

  • For non-Vermont domestic students: parent’s insurance plan; an individual plan offered by home state that includes benefits when away from home. Domestic students who need to change their coverage, have a 30 day window when they move to campus (called a qualifying event) to make policy changese. Window specifics vary depending upon policy.
  • For Vermont resident students (must have filed a Vermont tax return): parent’s insurance plan; purchase a policy via Vermont Health Connect (the state exchange); Blue Cross Blue Shield; MVP. Domestic students who need to change their coverage, have a 30 day window when they move to campus (called a qualifying event) to make policy changes. Window specifics vary depending upon policy.
  • For international students: The IFS Secure Plus Plan is required. With the approved IFS Secure Plus Plan, most campus services will have no copays, deductibles, or coinsurance. Students must sign up for the plan by August 1 (unless delayed entry into the US) for coverage starting August 15 (or if Spring entry, February 1 for coverage starting February 15). If policy info is not provided by the 1st, the College will purchase the plan on the student’s behalf and will post the cost to the student bill with a $100 administrative fee. If you will be in your home country for the first part of the term or are planning to study abroad, please email to arrange an appropriate enrollment date for the policy. The premium will be pro-rated as applicable.
  • For international students who hold a green card: either an individual plan offered by home state that includes benefits when away from home or the state exchange via Vermont Health Connect.

Please submit the details of your policy online on the Proof of Insurance form. Students are also required to provide information on any change in insurance to the College on the Proof of Insurance form.

Helpful links