Opening and Arrival Info
Arriving on Campus/Opening of School
Students need to make an appointment for your move in time and your first COVID test for the spring term. You should sign up on the CoVerified App or website. If you have not signed up for an appointment yet on this platform, please use these instructions, you can also learn more about CoVerified using this guide. As a reminder, if you are coming to Bennington this spring as a brand new student (transfer, exchange, or first term), please register for an appointment on February 13 as orientation will begin on February 14. If you are a returning student to campus (even if you were remote in the fall), you can sign up for a move in appointment on February 13 or February 14. The appointments will allow us to spread out arrival times so that there are limited folks in each space, and we are able to move quickly through the check-in/testing process. Note that you should choose Greenwall for your appointment location for arrival testing.
Students who have not yet been on campus for the 2020-2021 academic year should plan to arrive on Saturday, February 13 between 11:00 am and 7:00 pm. As a note, students who arrive after 7:00 pm will not be able to be tested on the day of their arrival and will need to quarantine in their room for an additional period of time. If your travel plans include arriving at the College after 7:00 pm, please reach out to Student Life to finalize details about your arrival. You should make an appointment for a COVID-19 test for the following day.
Students who were on campus this fall, but are not currently on campus can plan to arrive on either Saturday, February 13 or Sunday, February 14, between 11:00 am and 7:00 pm. As a note, students who arrive after 7:00 pm will not be able to be tested on the day of their arrival and will need to quarantine in their room for an additional period of time. If your travel plans include arriving at the College after 7:00 pm, please reach out to Student Life to finalize details about your arrival. Check in at Campus Safety to receive your room key and make sure you have a COVID-19 test scheduled for the next day.
All students who plan to return for the spring term should quarantine for 14 days (or 7 days and present a negative test within 48 hours of arrival to campus) prior to arriving to campus. We ask that students who need to use public transportation or travel via personal vehicle with multiple stops to return to campus do so exercising extreme caution practicing social distancing, wearing a mask at all times, and washing your hands frequently.
Each student will receive a COVID-19 test upon arrival and will need to complete an in-room quarantine until a negative test result is received by the individual student (or student and their roommate if they have a roommate). This will likely be for a 24-72 hour period. Non-perishable food for the in-room quarantine period will be provided at check-in, but we encourage students to bring food along with them for this time as well. Students will not be able to use the kitchen facilities in their house during this initial quarantine.
Once released from the in-room quarantine, students will participate in a House quarantine. During this time, it will be extremely important for students to continue to wear masks, maintain 6 feet (2 meters) of physical distance between them and others, and wash hands frequently. The second test for all students will occur on Monday, February 22, and once the entire house has received negative test results, they will receive an email from Student Life releasing them from the House quarantine.
Testing in the spring term will continue on a weekly basis where all students will be tested each week along with staff and faculty who are working on campus. Note that the frequency of this testing may change based on CDC and Vermont guidelines.
Many of you may have questions about what arrival will look like, what testing looks like, and what the term will look like. We have updated our Frequently Asked Questions for students page on the website to provide answers to many questions. We will be updating these as other questions arise. You can also check the COVID-19 section in these Digital Coffee Hour pages.
- Go to VAPA (Visual Arts & Performing Arts) Parking lot (there will be signage on campus to direct you if needed)
- Check in and verify you have signed the Commitment to Shared Responsibility
- Take COVID-19 Test (unobserved, we will send step-by-step instructions on this)
- Check in with Housing (pick up key if necessary)
- Pick up food
- Move into room and start your quarantine period
- If you plan to arrive after 7:00 pm, please reach out to Student Life so we can give instructions for check-in. You do need to sign up for a testing appointment the following day on CoVerified. You need to begin quarantine immediately upon getting to your room.
If you have lost your key over FWT, please be in touch with Housing prior to arriving so a key can be made. The charge for a lost key is $100, this charge will be placed on your student bill.
Unapproved early arrivals will face disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Handbook.
Important reminder: Student billing accounts must be current and health insurance must be in place with proof provided by February 1, 2021 (policy must be effective by February 15) in order to remain on campus or attend classes. Please contact Student Billing Coordinator Michelle Rollins (802-440-4353) for student account questions and the Student Health Center for insurance questions.
- February 1 | Payment in full for tuition is due.
- February 1 | Proof of Health Insurance due for new students and students returning from leave. All students are required to notify the College of any change in insurance coverage by submitting a new Proof of Health Insurance.
- February 5 | Reservation/payment deadline for shuttle service from Albany
- February 10-13 | Add/drop for all students (by email)
- February 12 | FWT Ends—employer evaluations, timesheets, reflective projects, and all other materials are due to the FWT office
- February 13 | New and transfer students arrive (by appointment)
- February 14 | Returning students arrive (by appointment)
- February 15 | Advising:
- New/transfer students, 1:30-2:00 pm
- All students, 2:00-4:30 pm
- Health Services opens 9:00 am-5:00 pm
- February 16 | Classes begin at 12:40 pm
- February 18 | FWT Night (remote), 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
- February 19 | FWT independent study sponsor evaluations due
- February 23 | First Coffee Hour
- February 23 | All new vehicles must be registered with Campus Safety
- March 19 | Required FWT Checkpoint Date for Summer Deferral (see description)
- March 22 | First-Year and Senior Plan Essays due to the Provost and Dean’s Office