Study Abroad / Study Away

STUDENT HANDBOOK: Academics and Field Work Term

Students are eligible to study away for a summer, a term, or an academic year and are encouraged to do so through an exchange, affiliated outside programs, or direct enrollment. Students interested in studying away should generally begin planning a year in advance by first consulting with the Director of Learning Beyond Bennington and their faculty advisor regarding options.

In order to study away for a term or an academic year, students must be in their 4th through 7th term, complete the Bennington Application to Study Away or applicable exchange application, remain in good academic and disciplinary standing, and receive formal approval from their Plan committee. The Plan meeting allows the Plan committee an opportunity to evaluate programs of study elsewhere and to advise how the courses offered may be coordinated with the student’s Plan of study at Bennington.

Students may also study away in an approved summer program at any time during their studies. To be eligible, students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing, complete the Summer Study Abroad Application or Transfer Credit Application for domestic programs and receive approval from their faculty advisor. Plan committee approval for summer study away is not required.

Students studying away in non-exchange programs for a term or a year will be assessed a study away administrative fee each term and placed on a Leave of Absence. Students are assessed a summer study abroad administrative fee for summer programs or assessed the transfer credit fee for domestic programs.

Students who wish to apply federal or other eligible aid toward their program costs should apply for consortium status from the Office of Financial Aid by completing the Consortium Student Agreement. The office of Financial Aid will then work to facilitate the transfer of eligible aid to the host school or program.

At the conclusion of the study away, an official transcript must be sent directly to the Office of the Provost and Dean and official granting of transfer credit will then be determined.

For more information about study abroad/study away, please contact the Director of Learning Beyond Bennington.

Cross-Enrollment: Williams College

A limited number of students may register at Williams College for courses not offered at Bennington for no additional fee. Credit for Williams College courses will be granted as transfer credits. Credits are determined by equivalent contact hours and awarded for courses in which a student earns a grade of C or better; grades earned as transfer credit are not included in GPA calculations. 

Interested students should consult the Office of the Provost and Dean about applying. Enrollment is usually limited to third-year and fourth-year students in good academic standing. Transportation is not provided by either college. The Fall term is generally the best time to take advantage of this option.