Care During Summer and FWT

Care in Bennington When the College is Not in Session

Bennington College Health and Psychological Services are officially closed during the Field Work Term (late December–mid-February) and summer break. There is no on-call or emergency coverage during these times.

Students remaining in the Bennington area during these times will need to access community resources if health care is needed.

  • Emergencies: If a life-threatening emergency occurs on campus, call Campus Safety at x767 or 802-447-4250. If off-campus, dial 911. If other emergency care is needed, students should go to the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center’s Emergency Department. If you have the College-sponsored health insurance with Consolidated Health Plan (CHP), you can speak with a nurse for free any time by calling 800-557-0309. United Counseling Service also provides 24-hour emergency psychological services. They can be reached at 802-442-5491.
  • Urgent care: Southwestern Vermont Medical Center’s Express Care is open 8:00 am–6:00 pm daily, and does not require an appointment. You can reach them at 802-440-4077.
  • Nonemergencies: Drs. Anselmo and Stein can often make appointments to see you in their private practices. They can be reached on weekdays 9:00 am–5:00 pm. You can also refer to our Local Health Care Providers page, or Southwestern Vermont Medical Center’s “Find a Doctor” web page for a listing of local doctors and psychologists
    • Dr. Randy Anselmo, MD, 802-375-4005
    • Dr. April Stein, PhD, 281-744-0719
  • Insurance: Virtually all health insurance provides coverage for emergencies, but may involve some out-of-pocket expense to you. Coverage may be more limited for non-emergency care, depending on your policy. If you are unsure, call the customer service number on your insurance card, explain what services you think you need, and ask what your policy covers. Also ask for a list of “in-network” healthcare providers in this area. Please refer to our Student Health Care page for more information.