student walking in front of Jennings music library

Financial Services

Welcome to Bennington College!

Please find below some important information and resources to help make your transition to Bennington as smooth as possible. On this page you can read more about ensuring your financial aid is in place for the start of term; how to make payments; how to apply for loans, including alternative loans and federal Parent PLUS loans; working on campus; and more. Be sure to check out our FAQs near the bottom of this page!

If you have any questions that you don't see addressed on this page, please feel free to reach out to us at for financial aid questions, or for billing/payment questions. We look forward to seeing you on campus soon!


Page Contents

Financial Aid Tools and Links

Finalize Financial Aid

Students who receive financial aid (scholarships, grants, loans, work-study) should be sure that everything has been finalized and funding is ready to go prior to arrival on campus. Check the Required Documents tab on ​My Financial Aid to be sure that all required documents have a status of "received.​" Questions or need help logging in to My Financial Aid? Contact the Financial Aid Office (802-440-4325 or email

Federal Parent PLUS Loans

Parents interested in the federal loan to pay the portion of the student's bill not covered by financial aid can learn more about the application, interest rate, and repayment options.

ELM Select

Bennington College has created a list of historically used lenders using an external website to review, compare products, and apply for private loans. Students have the right and ability to select the lender of their choice and are not required to use any of the lenders on the suggested lender list. Students are encouraged to shop around to find the lender offering the rates, terms, and service that are right for them.

In ELM Select: Select the academic level or the program you are pursuing to view additional information regarding lenders and products offered. The lender and specific product details presented are directly maintained by each lender.

Student Billing Tools and Links

Student Billing

In early June the fall tuition statements will be mailed to the student address on file with the Dean's Office. Important information about payment plan options, payment methods, and deadline dates will accompany the bill. Student bills are accessible online through Populi. Billing questions? Contact the Business Office by emailing Michelle Rollins. Any financial aid questions should be directed to the Financial Aid Office

Campus Jobs

Students who have been granted Federal Work Study or a campus work allotment as part of their financial aid package and wish to work will be assigned jobs that commence in September. Students should anticipate working approximately seven hours per week in order to utilize their entire work allocation. Additionally, all student workers will have the opportunity to engage in paid training sessions to develop career-related skills beyond their regular work hours. Further details regarding job assignments will be provided in July or August. Students who do not have work awards can apply for available campus jobs after the fall term begins, while those with work allotments can also seek additional work shifts during this time.

Due to budget limitations and employment regulations, the College cannot approve remote student employment. This means that full-time students who have work allotments but are studying remotely will have their work allotments canceled. In place of the work allotments, they will receive comparable Bennington aid. If students have any questions about on-campus employment, they should email For inquiries about their individual financial aid packages, students should reach out to the Financial Aid Office.

All students planning to work on campus will need to provide the Business Office with completed Forms I-9 and W-4, and accompanying identification (described on Form I-9; originals only, no copies). Students who arrive without the forms of ID specified on the I-9 will not be able to begin working until they are able to obtain them; driver's licenses and school IDs are not sufficient on their own.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I accept my financial aid?

Go to My Financial Aid and log in. In the Menu bar in the upper left corner, pick "Accept My Awards." Scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find each award offered with a ‘status’ tab that will allow you accept individual awards, or you can click on "Accept All." Be sure to click "Submit" or your acceptance will not go through.

How do I review my Student Account on Populi?

New students will have received an email with login information to Populi. Populi is the student information system that all Bennington students use for course information, online bill pay, and more. Students can view their statement online by logging in to Populi with their student account. (Contact if you have difficulty logging in.)   

Why hasn’t my scholarship been applied to my account?

If you were expecting financial aid to offset some of your educational costs, please review the financial aid portal for outstanding documentation and review the billing messages on the Billing Information page in the main menu.

Where is my federal financial aid/private loan/state grant?

If you were expecting financial aid to offset some of your educational costs, please review the financial aid portal billing messages listed under the Billing Information page in the main menu. If you still have questions, feel free to contact the Office of Financial Aid.

How do I acquire a receipt?

Log into your Populi account and click on the Financial tab in the dashboard. Under the dashboard headings, you will see "Print Statement." You can access your account 24/

How do I pay using my 529/state savings plan?

If you wish to contribute 529/state savings plan funds toward tuition payment, you should provide the organization with Bennington’s payment information. Please make sure to include the student's name and Bennington ID number to ensure the correct account is credited.

Any payment request from a 529 plan may take up to two weeks or more to reach our office. 529 plan payments must arrive before the payment due date to avoid a late payment fee.

When are refunds sent?

The first refunds in our office are processed during the third week of classes in a given semester, after the add/drop period has ended for students. The Accounts Payable Office processes the refunds on Thursdays and we mail out paper checks on Fridays. Students living on campus will receive their refund in their campus mailbox. No refunds are available for pick up in our office.

Can my refund go toward next semester?

If you have a credit balance and the funds are from federal loans, a refund paper check will be processed. Other credit balances will remain until the next semester unless you request to have those funds refunded.

Please be aware that credit due to federal financial aid (Stafford Loans, Pell/SEOG grants, or Parent PLUS loans) must remain in the same academic year (example: 2023 Fall term to 2024 Spring term). PLUS loans are refunded to the parent borrower, unless you indicate with the Financial Aid Office that they may be refunded to the student.

I need a tax document. How do I go about obtaining it?

For 1098-T info only: 

1098-T’s go out by January 31 of each year. Please be sure your billing address is correct in Populi in the Info tab.  

If you have more institutional aid, grants, scholarships and other funds that do not need to be repaid than qualifying charges for the tax year, then you will not receive a 1098-T. Your 1098-T will be mailed to you if you are to receive one. You may also view it online in Populi in the Dashboard tab of the financial area. The college cannot provide tax information.

Can I be emailed/mailed a copy of a student’s statement if I am paying on their behalf?

In compliance with the federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), Bennington is prohibited from providing certain information from your education records to a third party. This includes grades, billing, assessment of tuition and fees, financial aid (including scholarships, grants, and work-study or loan amounts), and other student education record information. The law also restricts Bennington from providing this information to your parents, spouse, or financial sponsor.

For information on how a student can waive this right, please view the form available here.

Contact Us
Name Email Office
Deirdre Bairstow-Allen, Director of Financial Aid Barn 104
Amy Starr, Assistant Director of Financial Aid Barn 104
Michelle Rodda, Financial Aid Counselor Barn 104
Jamie Fortier, Financial Aid Counselor Barn 104