a young woman shelves books in a campus library

Student Employment


square red Handshake logo of two figures shaking hands

Apply for on- and off-campus jobs, make advising appointments, and view job application resources.

Student Timesheets

White capital B on a brown background, with the word Bennington aligned vertically next to it

Enter your hours worked for payroll. See also timesheet due dates and pay dates.


Capital letters ADP in white on red background

View pay and tax statements and make direct deposit elections. Not familiar with ADP? Check out the user guide.

The Student Employment Handbook offers complete guidelines to working on campus. Brief summaries of important topics are below.

Still have questions? Contact campusjobs@bennington.edu.

Continuing for Spring 2021

Before the beginning of their first shift, to support safety, all student employees are expected to carefully review the COVID Student Worker Protocol and adhere to all points. Part of this protocol includes reading the Protecting the Health & Safety of Workers pdf. After you have read the policies, please complete the COVID-19 Health & Safety Training Completion Form AND the Acknowledgement of COVID Student Worker Protocol. It takes one minute to complete. We appreciate your cooperation.

Student Employee Health Screening

  • At the commencement of each work shift, student employees will be required to present to their supervisor the results from their daily health screening on CoVerify. Students must confirm that their temperature is within a range that does not exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit and must also certify that they are asymptomatic for respiratory illness (fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, congestion or runny nose, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea). 
  • Student employees may use their own thermometer to conduct the temperature check or may obtain a free thermometer from health services by identifying themselves as an employee.
  • Student employees shall not report to, or be allowed to remain at, work if sick or symptomatic. Student employees who are symptomatic should contact their health provider and should notify their supervisor.

Work Eligibility

To be eligible for student employment, students must have a work allotment as part of their financial aid package (which includes Federal Work Study recipients as well as international students with work awards as part of their financial aid), and must be studying on-campus (remote student employment is not available). As previously communicated in the fall, nearly all campus jobs that been restructured as year-long positions, meaning that work-eligible students were automatically rehired to continue their fall campus job(s) in the spring.

Each eligible student may be approved for one job, or a maximum of 7-8 hours/week. If a student or supervisor is unable to meet these weekly hours on a regular basis, please contact campusjobs@bennington.edu so that we can note this and assist with any needed scheduling adjustments. Fot students who wish to work more hours, a second job is permitted, totaling 16 hours per week. If needed to makeup for work shift coverage, students are permitted to flex hours in a given week up to 20 hours per week, which is the cap set in TimesheetX--but the ongoing weekly student cap is 16 hours.

The College is not able to approve any remote student employment after the end of the Spring 2020 term. Given this, for full-time students who are studying remotely, work allotments will be removed and replaced with comparable Bennington aid. The addition of this aid in place of an allotment will reduce the amount owed on Populi for the term or, in some cases, result in a credit, which will be refunded to students.

If you have questions about your work award status, please contact financial aid or review your aid award on My Financial Aid.

Finding a Job on Handshake

All available campus positions will be posted on Handshake—no positions will be hired outside of the Handshake system. From Handshake, go to the “Jobs” tab and click “On-Campus” directly below the search bar. Just click on the title of any job you are interested in to learn more about an available position, including wage, skills required, hours available, supervisor name, and application considerations.

Positions on campus are for one year only (fall and spring term; summer and winter hired separately) unless otherwise specified. Between academic years, all students must re-apply for positions.

Applying for Jobs on Handshake

Handshake makes it easy to apply for jobs—just click “Apply” and follow the instructions for each position. All positions require resumes, and some may require cover letters and extra documents such as course schedules. For support in writing or editing your resume, book an appointment

Hiring coordinators will review all submitted applications and select finalists for each role. If you do not hear back from the positions to which you applied, you may want to broaden the scope of roles that you apply to, as some positions are in very high demand. If you have questions about the status of your application, please contact campusjobs@bennington.edu.

For some positions, a hiring coordinator may want to set up an interview if interested in your application. As with your resume, how you interview is a key factor in a hiring coordinator’s decision. We strongly encourage you to book an interview practice session and/or to check out our interview resources.

Getting Paid

Before your first day of work and in order to be added to the payroll, you must complete three federal forms and provide relevant ID (see below) and upload this paperwork via the Eligibility to Work Form. First-year international students: The International Student Services Office will be in touch with you with details about obtaining your Social Security Number so that you can complete the required paperwork. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Kate Child, Assistant Dean for Academic Services, who is the Primary Designated Official for International Students. Students who have worked on campus in the past do not need to file these forms every year. They only need to re-file the W-4 form if they previously filed “exempt,” or if their tax status has changed significantly in some other way.

Form W-4. This is a federal tax-withholding form and all students who are working must have one on file. Essentially, this is how you tell the government how much should be withheld from each paycheck for tax purposes. The College cannot tell you how to complete this, so if you can, complete it before arriving with help from family or an accountant/tax advisor. Print the W-4 form, complete it as instructed, and bring the original to campus. Remember to keep a copy for your own records. Complete this form in ink. Hand signature is required on this form.

Form W-4VT. This is a state tax-withholding form and needs to be completed in addition to the federal W-4.

Form I-9. This is an employment-eligibility form that is generally required by the government for everyone who is employed in the U.S. In order to complete the form so you are eligible to work, you must bring original identification documents with the form to campus in the event you need to turn it in. If requested, we will need to see the actual documents and cannot accept photocopies or faxes. There is a complete list of acceptable identification types attached to the form.

Successful processing of your I-9 and W-4 will allow you to submit your timesheets online and collect wages. You can record your hours throughout the week and save the form each time, but note that timesheets will not be processed for payment until you submit them. If you are interested in direct deposit, you can select that option in your ADP profile; in the absence of direct deposit, paychecks are delivered to campus mailboxes. See list of timesheet due dates and pay dates.

Using a Campus Job as a Field Work Term

Students may submit a term-time (fall and spring) campus job for consideration as a Field Work Term by marking their intent to do so on the Field Work Term Proposal and registering the job by the FWT registration due date. In order to count as a FWT, a campus job must meet all of the usual requirements, including connection to a student's learning goals, and completion of at least 200 hours over the course of the academic year.

After receiving a registration for a campus job Field Work Term, the Career Development and Field Work Term Office will contact the student's supervisors to verify that they are willing and able to supervise the field work experience, which carries additional mentorship and evaluative responsibilities above those of the normal course of some campus jobs. If all requirements are being met and the supervisor is willing, the campus job will become the student's FWT for the year, and their winter period will be left free for other purposes. If requirements are not met or the supervisor does not feel able to supervise a FWT, the Office will get in touch with the student to help them resume the search for a different FWT option.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I have more than one job?

Campus jobs are designed to each offer 7-8 hours per week, which is the maximum number of hours each student may work, and the number of hours needed to reach the typical $1,150-per-term campus allotment. This is intended as a support to students so that you can meet your work allotment through a single job. To help meet hiring gaps, work-eligible students who wish to obtain a second 7-8 hour weekly job (totaling 14-16 hours weekly) can now be approved to do so, after completing the two-question Google Form that was shared with all eligible students.

What is the hourly rate of pay?

The great majority of campus jobs are paid at Vermont's minimum wage, which is $11.75. A small handful of campus jobs that carry supervisory responsibilities pay more than minimum wage, and this is marked on their Handshake listings in cases where it applies.

How many hours can I work?

Students can work a maximum of 2 jobs per term. Most positions offer 7-8 hours/week, which is also the number of hours needed to reach the typical $1,150-per-term campus allotment.

How do I get paid?

As you work during the term, complete your online timesheets showing the hours you have worked during the current (usually two-week) pay period. Make sure to click "submit" on your timesheet(s) by the payroll deadline. Please refer to the full payroll schedule. Your paycheck is sent to your College mailbox, or you may have your check deposited directly in your bank account. To view your past pay statements, log in to your ADP account.

Can I work if I don't have a work allotment in my financial aid package?

Unfortunately, no. To support equity and ensure that all work-allotted students have access to jobs, students without work allotments will not be eligible to apply or be hired for campus jobs.

Can I work if I am studying remotely?

Unfortunately, no; the College is not able to approve any remote student employment after the end of the Spring 2020 term. However, we understand that students and families rely on the work allotment in their financial aid packages to cover their costs. Given this, for full-time students who are studying remotely, work allotments will be removed and replaced with comparable Bennington aid. The addition of this aid in place of an allotment will reduce the amount owed on Populi for the term or, in some cases, result in a credit, which will be refunded to students. This aid will be disbursed on the same schedule as all other aid. Students and families should contact financial aid with questions about their individual packages.

Can I do Federal Work Study (FWS) during Field Work Term (FWT) and summer?

By federal policy, FWS funds are not available during FWT and summer. A limited number of campus employment positions are available on campus over FWT and summer, but are paid as regular-pay wages. If you are hired for a job over FWT or the summer, the money you make during off-term time in an on-campus job will not count towards your FWS allotment.

Are my earnings, even Federal Work-Study (FWS), taxable?

Yes. Student earnings, including FWS earnings, are considered earned income and are therefore subject to all applicable taxes. Additionally, please be aware that earnings appearing on your tax statements also affect your FAFSA, and may therefore affect your financial aid status. If you are concerned about this happening, please consult the Financial Aid Office for details.

Can I work off campus?

Students who wish to supplement their campus earnings, or who are not eligible to work on campus but wish to have a job, are welcome to seek employment in and around Bennington and can search opportunities on Handshake. There are also a few local off campus organizations that offer FWS-eligible positions. Because they are FWS-eligible, they will be listed on Handshake as “On-Campus” jobs even though they are off-site.

International students should see International Student Services to discuss visa eligibility for working off campus.

What is the College’s nondiscrimination policy?

Please review Bennington College's nondiscrimination policy