Applying as an International Student
If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States you are an international student. You will complete the same application and be evaluated the same way all Bennington applicants are evaluated. However, as an international student there are just a few additional steps.
- English Language Proficiency
Any applicant (US citizen or international) must demonstrate English proficiency unless one of the following describes you:
- You are a native speaker of English
- You will have been taught fully in English for at least three (3) years by the time you graduate secondary school
If you do not meet the above criteria, you must submit one of the following to demonstrate Enlish proficieny:
- TOEFL (Bennington score report code: 3080)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
While Bennington does not a have a minimum score for these exams, successful applicants typically have at least 100 on the TOEFL, 7 on the IELTS, 120 on the DET, or 70 on the PTE Academic. In addition to these exams, we will use any writing samples in the application or interviews to further assess a student's English skills. You must demonstrate competence in English before will be considered for admission; the College do not offer courses in English as a Second Language (ESL).
- The equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma is required.
Your official transcripts from all years of high school must be submitted directly from your school. If your transcripts aren't in English, an official translation should be submitted along with the originals.
- Although it is not required, we strongly encourage you to take either the SAT or ACT.
- If you are unable to have official scores sent directly to Bennington, you may request that your school official either submit them with the Common Application school report or email them to email@example.com.
- An interview. These one-on-one conversations with an admissions counselor allow us time to get to know you, to hear about your goals and interests, and to learn about the questions that drive you and your work. Likewise, these discussions are a good opportunity for you to ask us about Bennington. You can schedule an off-campus interview here.
Scholarships and Financial Aid for International Students
Bennington offers special scholarships each year to outstanding international applicants. These scholarships range in amount from full to partial, and are determined only after all applications are received and on the recommendation of the Admissions Committee.
Financial Aid is available to international students in all admissions rounds: Early Decision I, Early Decision II, Early Action, and Regular Decision.
Required Forms and Important Notices
- If you intend to apply for financial aid you must submit the documents listed on the How to Apply Checklist. Financial Aid deadlines are the same as Admissions.
- Regardless of whether or not you will apply for financial aid, if you enroll at Bennington, you are required to submit an International Student Certification of Finances. This form, which must be received and approved before the College issues an I-20 Form, verifies that you have the financial resources for all coming years at Bennington to meet expected education costs not covered by financial aid. Financial aid recipients complete the Certification after they receive a financial aid award.