Workers' Compensation Procedures

For questions or concerns regarding work-related injuries or illnesses, please contact Human Resources (x4423).

Workers’ Compensation is an insurance program that provides medical and disability benefits for certain work-related injuries and illnesses arising out of and in the course of employment. Employees injured on the job will be compensated according to the Vermont Workers’ Compensation Act. The Human Resources Office, the College’s workers’ compensation carrier, and the Department of Labor will monitor these cases to ensure effective management.

Medical treatment for work-related injuries and return to work planning will be coordinated by the College in conjunction with the Occupational Health Department (OHD) of the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center (SVMC) in Bennington, VT. Employees are required to follow the steps outlined below in the event of a work-related injury:

  • Any employee requiring ambulance transportation from the work site due to a life- or limb-threatening accident should be taken directly to the Emergency Department at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington, VT, or the nearest emergency care unit.

Employees should always notify Campus Safety (x767) regarding any emergency situation.

  • All work-related injuries should be reported to Human Resources within 24 hours. In the event that the office is not open, the report should be made on the first business day that it is open. Employees must file a First Report of Injury form and related Department of Labor forms provided by the Human Resources Office. Employees must contact Human Resources regarding their return-to-work status and other case details.
  • Any employee who has a non-life-threatening injury should contact the Occupational Health Department (OHD) of SVMC at 802-447-5317. The OHD nurse can advise the employee on the appropriate course of action and will make necessary appointments for treatment and/or referrals. The OHD will determine the need for additional visits for specialist evaluation and treatment, file claims, and will keep the employer updated with restrictions and return-to-work notices.
  • The final decision as to whether compensation shall or shall not be payable in any particular instance rests with the Vermont Department of Labor.