Admissions and Aid
In addition to completing an online application, applicants to the MFA in Music program should submit a detailed statement discussing their previous studies, experience in the arts, their specific goals, and their proposal for using Bennington’s resources to accomplish those goals.
The program is designed as a two-year, four-term program; however, students who cannot commit to four consecutive terms are encouraged to propose an alternative schedule. Such proposals should be made when applying.
In addition to the biographical information requested in the application, please send us the following materials:
- Your résumé.
- The $75 (U.S.$) nonrefundable application fee made payable to Bennington College or a fee waiver.
- A portfolio of your work. You may include DVD’s, flashdrives and/or links.
- A brief list and description of performing and teaching experiences and/or any creative projects completed outside of the academic arena.
- An essay that discusses how you propose to use the College’s resources to accomplish the work you plan to pursue.
- Two letters of recommendation (please use the forms provided in the application).
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
Optional: If you would like to apply for a graduate assistantship, please submit a statement that discusses your experience in the field and how your skills might serve as an asset to the teachers and/or students at the College. Students receiving graduate assistantships are expected to work 15 hours per week during the fall and spring terms in exchange for a 50 percent reduction in the total cost of tuition.
- February 1: MFA in Music application due (priority deadline)
- April 1: Financial aid applications due
Interviews are offered by faculty invitation only. Selected applicants will be contacted after completed applications have been reviewed.
If you would like to schedule a campus visit or if you have any questions about the graduate program in dance or the admissions process, please contact: